Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Morikami Japanese Gardens

Before Melissa gave us a ride back to Pompano Beach, we went to the Morikami Japanese Gardens in Delray Beach. I'd read about that place when I researched attractions in the Palm Beach area, and I was really excited to see it because I'd never been to a Japanese Garden (not even the one in Portland, I'm ashamed to admit). Unfortunately, my camera was running out of juice and space, so I didn't get to take as many photos as I'd wished, but I still had a great time, and thoroughly enjoyed seeing all those Floridian plants arranged in a Japanese style. And I love bamboo, and turtles, so I couldn't be disappointed. Below are a few I selected, you can see the rest in this album

.8639
Names carved in bamboo in spite of a sign
urging visitors not to write on the bamboo. 
.8688

.8741

.8751

.8753

.8791
The bonsai tree in the middle has got to be my favorite
because it reminds me of a man running with
the Olympic torch in his hand. 
.8787

.8790

.8798
I liked that it looked like the branch 
was trying to mimick the heron's pose.
.8809
Herons are such majestic creatures. 
.8802
Koi fish! 

No comments: