Thursday, November 11, 2010

Earl Grey madeleines

I've been thinking of madeleines all week. I don't know why, because I've never been the biggest fan of madeleines. I think it has to do with how cute and dainty they look. They're also very French. I finally decided to try making them yesterday, and was surprised that they were so easy to make. I adapted Daniel Boulud's recipe from the blog From Donuts to Delirium. I was stupid enough to make them after the sun had gone down, and my kitchen has terrible lighting, so this is the only decent photo I have of those seriously delicious madeleines.

.7458


Makes 20 medium sized madeleines

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
A pinch of salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons loose leaf Earl Grey tea
1 tablespoon vodka
1 teaspoon almond extract
a dozen crushed pecans



1. In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.

2. In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, sugars, and lemon zest. Add the flour mixture and whisk until combined.

3. In a saucepan, melt the butter on low. When fully melted, add the tea leaves, and leave to infuse for 3 minutes on low.

4. Set the butter and tea mixture aside and add a teaspoon of vodka. Combine with a wooden spoon.

5. Strain butter mixture into the dry ingredients, making sure to get as much of the mixture out of the tea leaves. Add the almond extract, the crushed pecans, and squeeze a few drops of lemon juice into the mixture. Stir and cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.

6. Preheat the oven to 400°F.

7. Fill the molds with a spoon.

8. Bake for approximately 13 minutes, until golden brown.


I had them plain, straight out of the oven, but I'm sure they would taste great in some homemade hot cocoa made with real dark chocolate.

No comments: