Friday, September 10, 2010

Pike Place Market

I took too many photos at Pike Place, some of which I haven't even uploaded to Flickr yet. You can still see more in my Seattle album
As mentioned in the previous post, I saw the downstairs stores first, and it was quite a disappointment. 

.3206

I liked the signs, though. 

.3200

The above-ground market was much more interesting. I particularly liked the sign below. 

.3209

.3210

A sobering account of the state of reading in North America. I'd read half a book that morning, so I felt better about myself when I read the sign. 

.3213

Luscious, luscious fruit and vegetables. 

.3219

.3220

If I had been hungry, I would have been all over these tomatoes. 

.3221

But not all over the seafood (I'm a vegetarian). Still, I liked that little lobster hovering above the menu. 

.3226

Those boxes were almost enough to make me buy some salmon, but I couldn't imagine having to lug them around for two months, and through four or five airports and a couple of train stations. 

.3243

A pilgrimage to the original Starbucks was in order. I didn't take a lot of photos inside, and they turned out horribly because the lighting was terrible. I'm not a big fan of the Pike Place brew. I had it once in ManchVegas and couldn't finish it. It was too bitter. It's usually served in an interesting paper cup, though. I bought a Pike Place mug that I left at the apartment in Portland because I thought my suitcase was going to be over the weight limit. It turns out that it wasn't, and I could have brought it back, along with my hardcover copy of Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart. I miss that book, and want to read it again. 

.3252

.3255

This concludes today's Seattle post. More will be coming in the new few days. 

                            **************************

This post was brought to you by two cups of Mariage Frères Decaf Earl Grey tea, and a selection of M. Ward tunes. 

No comments: