Monday, November 29, 2010

Hollywood

There's something desolate, almost end-of-the-world like about Sandy Boulevard. After rush hour, it's deserted and you feel like only a handful of people survived some sort of apocalypse. It's an odd feeling. Sandy is an odd sight. There's a definite retro vibe, with washed out colors and early 60s architecture. It's ugly, yet photogenic. It gets prettier when you reach the Hollywood district.+


All photos were taken a week or so before I left Portland, before I headed out to the Oregon coast for a great weekend with my new friend Julie and her wonderful friends. When I took these, I already felt a pang of sadness because I knew I wouldn't be back for a long time, and now, it's bittersweet to look at them. 

.6189
Teen Challenge thrift store at 32nd & Sandy, 
where I took the bus to the campaign office most days. 
.6178

.6176
Very cute vintage store whose windows kept 
calling out to me, but I was good and 
remembered that my suitcase was too full 
as it was, and bringing back dinnerware just 
wasn't an option. And that typewriter wouldn't 
fit in my suitcase either. 
.6184

.6185

.6186

.6200
A taste of fall in mid August. 
.6212
Visual information overload: a gentlemen's club open 
and cocktail signs, a Buick dealership, 
a Budweiser sign in the distance on top of a 
skate shop, two street signs and a parking sign. 
.6216

.6219
Two businesses in one. 
.6222

.6223
Overlooking Cesar Chavez Boulevard, 
if I'm not mistaken. 
.6229

.6233
The very picturesque Hollywood theater, on 41st 
and Sandy. It was built in 1926. The architecture 
is really cool. 
.6237

.6238

.6246

No comments: